Friday, May 21, 2010

Sell Notification, Purchase Notification

Sell Notice - Netflix NTFX
I sold approximately 40% of my Netflix (NFLX) shares. The main reason is Netflix ballooned to 30% of my entire portfolio. It's a nice problem to have but a problem none the less. Netflix has been my top money maker especially due to an increase of my holdings when it bottom in the teens a few years ago. This is the second time I've shaved back my Netflix on the size in a year.

With the price reaching into the $100-110 range, I decided it was time to kill to birds with one stone. As I stated before, I'm cutting back primarily because NFLX ran up to inflate my holds (a good thing). However I had some valuations concerns and decided to take some of the gains off the table and look for new ideas to invest in. I have no doubt Netflix will continue to perform well but I'm just cutting my exposure while looking to put that capital gains right back to work.

One of the philosophies of the Monkey Portfolio is to reinvest in all manners. I reinvest dividends. I also reinvest shares sold to buy in other business. Last year after I sold my first installment of NFLX I put it to work in MSM Direct and Dolby Labs. Dolby has continued to beat the market.

Once again, that philosophy applies. The net gain from Netflix will be used to either expand current holdings or invested in new companies. A full position is a position in my portfolio that I consider the max I'll own of a stock. I do make exceptions and own more or less. Anyway, I've gained enough from the Netflix sale to fund three complete positions and a third of another.

Purchase Notification - Seaspan Corporation (SSW)
I give my reasons in my results of review of my holdings. I continue to keep buy until I reach my predetermined amount. Also I'm making it my first holding in my new IRA account.

Even though they are separate accounts, I'm counting them as one toward my new Texas Liberty Cougar Fund. More on the Texas Liberty Cougar Fund on the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment