Sunday, June 3, 2012

Investing Update


Long time since my last investing check in.  Obviously much has changes since then.

First off, I sold off the vast majority of my holdings and at a profit.  Then second move stems from the first. With the proceeds from my investments I purchased my new home.

Now that I'm settled in my home and the necessities bought, I can once again focus on rebuilding my portfolio.

I've often read that one should have investment goals and a philosphy. It doesn't have to be complex, wordy or fancy. A simple statement to give one general direction to a goal. A philosophy of what type of investments will help someone keep focused and avoid buying unfamiliar securities.

In short, my goal is to make money. More long term, I want to invest to supplement my retirement or pay off my home house at retirement.

Philosophy-wise, I prefer small to mid cap stocks. They can be more volatile and risky but rewards can be higher.  I also look to mix in a few microcaps to try to juice my returns.

The Current Plan
I use two newsletters for stock ideas. Each newsletter provides four stock ideas. I can't afford to buy stocks a month so I evaluate one or two stocks with for best return.  Since both are subscription newsletters, I often delay announcing my buys. I don't think it is fair to newsletter subscribers, writers and me to give away the information immediately.

Aside from the newsletter buys, I plan on doing stock screen searches and other sources to build a watch list for research for future buys. Since those will be my independent research, I will post those as without delays.

The final goal is educating myself. Along the way I will make mistakes. I hope to learn from those mistakes and make better investing decisions. On the flip side, I hope just as much to learn from what I do right.

Stay tuned for further developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment